Poison ivy is a plant that causes allergic skin reactions and there are very few treatment for poison ivy. The allergic reactions typically resul into an itchy, red rash with blisters or bumps.

Considered to be one of the most common causes of skin rashes among adults and children who particularly like to spend time outdoors, Poision Ivy is generally found throughout the US, except in Alaska, the Southwest, and Hawaii.

The reaction

Poison ivy rashes are a result of skin coming into contact with the oils from the plant. Smoke coming from burning poison ivy can cause the same reaction so don’t burn them when you find some growing around your house. It’s typical for the reaction to be instantaneous since poison ivy oils quickly enter the skin. However, once rashes develop, they are rarely contagious.

What to avoid (before Treatment for Poison Ivy)

The best kind of treatment for poison ivy is still prevention. When you’re outdoors, be on the lookout for plants that have green shiny leaves and red stems. You can usually find them along riverbanks, forming into vines. You can also check out pictures of poison ivy online so you know exactly what you’re supposed to be avoiding.

Treating poison ivy

When avoiding the offending plant is too late, available treatment for poison ivy include many over-the-counter products to take care of the itching. However, there is actually a way not to get a rash. If you act quick enough, say within 10 minutes of coming into contact with poison ivy, you can cleanse the exposed area with rubbing alcohol. After that, wash the area with water only, and only after that can you use soap.

Urushiol, the irritating substance in poison ivy, only causes a reaction if you let it stay on your skin. Should you already be developing a rash in a particular area of your body, you can prevent it from further spreading to other areas by cleaning everything you had with you when you came into contact with the poison ivy. Parents who have kids going outdoors all the time can also have ready treatment for poison ivy by preparing a treatment kit with rubbing alcohol, water, and soap.